Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Friday, November 4, 2011

Tyger Tyger Goblin Wars Book One by Kersten Hamilton

Summary:
Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.
Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's
talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming.

Summary Taken from Goodreads.com



I LOVED THIS BOOK!  It had everything that I want in a book. It has goblins, the fair folk, a little bit of romance, suspense, comedy and a teenage heroine that is NOT a whiney, self-absorbed brat! I applaud the author Kersten Hamilton on her first YA novel which in my humble opinion is a great start to a promising career in this genre and I wish her the greatest success.

I adored the characters; I appreciate how she took time to make them seem “real”.  I also enjoyed the interaction between them all. The only character I didn’t like was the bad guy. My favourite character was Aiden, he’s such a sweetie. I wish he were a real person because I’d smother him in hugs.

I appreciated that Hamilton took her time building the characters, the plot and the settings because it was easy to follow along. She gave just the right amount of attention to detail without going overboard. Well, except in one instance where she went into graphic detail about Teagan (the heroine) drooling and having snot on the back of her love interests shirt. *SHUDDER* I can handle blood and gore but snot and drool count me out! 

Anyways, back to the story.  Teagan is an animal lover who wants to go to Cornell and won’t let anything get in the way of those plans.  Especially not a boy. That is until her cousin Finn comes to live with them. He isn’t her blood cousin (thank goodness) but he does make her teenage heart go pitter patter.  Finn is the son of Teagan’s mother Aileen’s “brother”.  Finn is an Irish Traveler who has been on his own since he was 12 years old. 

Not long after Finn comes to stay with Teagan’s family he helps defend a friend of the family, A boy named Lennie who is a 6 year old trapped in the body of an 18 year old.  That night Lennie’s mother come over to thank Finn and makes the family dinner, while this is happening Aileen is struck with inspiration for a book (she’s a writer and illustrator or children’s books). She grabs a pen and begins writing down her idea when Aiden spots a “shadow man” reach over and touch his mother. No one thinks too much of this except Finn, who decides to run away.

The next day Aileen feels ill and gets sent to the hospital, where she slips into a coma and dies three days later.  A few months go by and nothing happens. Until one day when her father fails to show up for a meeting with a social worker. She goes looking for him with Aiden and Finn shoes up out of the blue looking even more rugged than before.

They find their way into Mag Mell an alternate dimension. This is where the real action lays and since I don’t want to give too much more of the book away let me say that this is where the Cat Sidhe, Sprites, Goblins and the Fair Folk come into play.

So we follow the trio Aiden, Finn and Teagan as they fight to get her father back from the villain’s evil clutches. After a startling revelation Teagan learns about her mother’s past and her future. .. This book is filled with twists and turns. Its action packed and in my opinion one of the best books I have read all year and in my opinion one of the best books I have read all year. I cannot wait for my copy of the second book in the series to come in at the library. This is one author to look out for in the future which is why I gave this book 5 stars.

I highly recommend this book to anyone at all. I think it will be a favourite of those who like YA fantasy novels and Irish folklore. GO READ THIS BOOK!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!